View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 08:58 AM
MB, love..hate..love..

Bardahl Stop Smoke - solution or snake oil?

I'm trying to find a quick solution to my intermittent blue smoke problem (well, if I let it annoy me, which unfortunately, I can't help).

Background: I accidently overfilled the oil by about 1/4 - 1/2 liter just before a 300 mile trip, a couple of weeks ago. I noticed several times that acceleration would blow a cloud of smoke out the exhaust. The most memorable was just after going down a small hill, then stepping on it to go up a steeper hill. This was on the trip. I still get smoke noticeable on occasion idling, and while driving after accelerating.

I replaced all the valve stem seals myself (with dealer-supplied seals) about 2 years ago. This was to stop an annoying smoke cloud at start-up. Things seemed to be OK until this year, but I don't know if the issue was caused by the overfill or not.

Now to the nub of this thread: has anyone tried this product, and if so, what were you trying to cure (what kind of oil smoke) and what was the result?

I'd like to hear from the armchair theorists too, if they can provide a rationale for why I shouldn't use this stuff, but I'd really like to hear from folks who have actually used it in their Mercedes engine.....