View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 10:07 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

Anybody got crazed clearcoat or peeling clearcoat?

I took my car to a body shop and they told me it would be about 2-3000.00 to fix it up, I asked if they could buff off the clear and put new clear on? they told me it was impossible.
well, I was working on it, and tried polishing it out with 2000grit paper wet, and it burned through in some places that way, so I tried something different...
I took a razor blade and GENTLY scraped at the peeling clear. IT WORKED!!!
I took some before pics, and some during pics. but the bottom line is it did the job. the razor blade had to be handled without a scraper, and very slowly chip away at the clear.
I made a few mistakes, and I could not get any of the good clear off (perhaps that's a good thing!) the clear came off like dry frosting on a year old doughnut! when I had all the clear off, the paint under it was a frosty version of it's color, so I applied some polishing compound with an orbital buffer, so far it looks great. I will continue in the morning. (why oh why would I tackle something like this while at the beach on vacation???) I just love working on my Benz!

now for the after shot of the same trunk/bonnet

More pics here...http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q132/vstech/clear%20coat%20experiment/

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!

Last edited by vstech; 05-28-2007 at 06:53 PM.