View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFreeh View Post
Uh... The EPA banned the production of R12, since they banned it I'm guessing they would HAVE to offer people that were running R12 an "alternative refrigerant" What else could they do? Tell everybody that has an R12 system that they can't repair it? Not likely IMHO.

I don't know of any cars (first or second hand) that have ever suffered a hydrocarbon based refrigerant fire/meltdown while the A/C was in operation. I'd be a lot more concerned about having an A/C condenser full of propane sitting right behind my bumper if I was in an accident. The condensers in a modern cars are paper thin and in virtually every moderate to severe front end collision the A/C condenser will end up getting punctured. If there is an ignition source while your Duracool is leaking you are going to be involved in a fire, and you can start a pretty good fire with a pound of propane. Also keep in mind this hazard is not yours alone, the passengers in your car and other cars/people that are involved in the accident could also be seriously effected if your car goes up like a roman candle.

Is it really worth the risk to save $50 on a refrigerant charge?

Production - yeah - no more.

Availability - uh...still available. R-12 is out there and not ALL of the alternative/blend refrigerants contain propane as some here go on and on about.

Lots of bad misinformation going on here.

I'm out of this one.

Use what you like to keep cool.

Been cooling down lots of cars for many years with blends/alternatives.

Last edited by 1991300SEL; 05-29-2007 at 01:37 PM.