View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:07 AM
recreational user

Tomguy question and compensator spring replacement trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomguy View Post
Here is what I'd do:
2) If your door locks don't work, reverse the check valve to keep them from sucking engine vac
Hey Tomguy,

I pulled this advice from another thread.

Any more exact instructions on this? Like where to find the check valve, and how to reverse it? Or even which line runs to it so that I can plug it.

Car's running like crap and I need to start eliminating "easy" fixes before I look at the horror of $185 per injector.

Thanks

Also, I finally installed the spring to replace my compensator and we came up with a fairly ingenious (I thought) way to create a spring compressor.

First we drilled out the hole in the bolt on spring base to 1/2"

Then we cut a piece of 1/2" all thread just long enough so that we could put a nut at each end of the assembled spring kit.

Then as we put the spring up we used the little half-moon brass plate that originally was between the pn compensator and it's nut to pull against.

Lastly in the set up we reached through the spring with a pair of locking pliers (vise grips) and clamped the all thread so that it didn't turn.

Then we cranked the nut down to compress the spring. As the spring got tight we jacked up the pass. side suspension to get the outer bolt hole to line up.

Once that bolt was in we loosened the all thread nut so that the other bolt hole lined up. Tighten and viola. remove the all thread by slipping it past the fuel pump houing, remove the pliers with a big pry bar and you're done.

Hope this helps someone some day. By the way if the all thread snaps and stuff comes flying out and injures you (or worse) I cannot be held responsible. It's just one of those things that could happen.

2001 Honda Accord

1995 Jeep Cherokee

1973 MB 280SEL 4.5