View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 AM
WECO Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBible View Post
Yes, the simplest and best belt setup I ever saw was on an 85 Mustang GT 5.0 V8. It had a spring loaded tensioner and a serpentine belt. You could lever the tension with a tire iron, big screwdriver, crowbar or whatever you had lying around. I think that in a race I could change one of those belts in two minutes.

That was definitely a case where Ford "had a better idea."

I have an '88 Vette that is changed the same way except you use a 1/2" breakover bar and it is harder to snake the belt off and back on.

Have a great day,
As I recall, my 1984 190D 2.2 Diesel had a simple spring type tensioner. It was extremely easy to replace the belt and no rubber tensioner to break. All you had to do was insert the round end of the lug bolt wrench into a whole to release the spring tension. Great design!

When I purchased my 1993 190 2.3 new, the belt tensioner lasted less than the original serpentine belt. The rubber bushing was torn/broken. Since that time, it seems like most of my parts replacements are due to rubber/plastic failure. Linkage shifter bushings, drive shaft flex discs, sub-frame mount bushings, motor mounts, plastic radiator neck, etc.

A friend of mine that owns an independent MB repair garage puts it this way..."The things that make a Mercedes a Mercedes are going to fail".

On another note, I feel that my '93 190E has been a great car and has been easy to maintain, parts are always available, and if they are not in stock I can get them the next day. As I wonder if MB quality has improved or gotten worse, when I compare age, mileage, parts replacement, paint quality, and interior quality, my 2001 SLK has been a big improvement over the 190E in that respect.

1993 190E 2.3
2001 SLK230
1971 LS5 (454) Corvette Convertible