View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Horrible blind spots. Test drive it and see. That ended it for me. Style completely triumphed over basic function here.

And that's my problem with the FJ in a nutshell. It lacks design integrity. It is a highly stylized cartoon of a classic old design. Like Swampyankee noted, it is only posing at being serious SUV like the old Toyota FJ40 jeeps and Land Cruisers.

On top of that, as a vehicle, the FJ is underwhelming once you've driven around in one a bit. I just didn't LIKE it.

Unless the design works for you, and if you can live with the rear visiblity problems, there are better products out there. And don't buy the whole "it's-a-Toyota-so-it-has-to-be-good-quality" bit. The competition has been gaining, and Toyota has been getting lazy. I personally don't think their current products are as well-assembled as those from 5 years ago. There is some decontenting and cost-cutting going on, and you can tell.

So -- I would look around and test drive the competition from Nissan, Jeep, etc. Personally, I just purchased a Hyundai Santa Fe -- which completely won me over with its design, powertrain and build quality, and is a neat little SUV for a good price (mine was several thousand under sticker).

Personally, if you are looking for a fun, inexpensive vehicle, I would change categories and go check out the Mazda3. It is a fantastic product. Inexpensive, well built, and a real driver's car.

And if you want AWD, check out the Ford Fusion. Seriously. Another really good car that doesn't cost a lot of money, but is well designed and well built.

-- Bokonon