View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 12:32 AM

'88 560 SL, grinding noise rear wheel

I have a 1988 560 SL with 137,000 miles on it. Engine and tranny are GREAT!! The problem I have is with the driver rear wheel/bearing/axle/WHATEVER. There is a grinding noise coming from the driver rear wheel that is intermittent and seems to correct when the vehicle has been driven for a while but reoccurs at any time. Honestly it sounds like I am dragging a concrete block. At first I thought the muffler was dragging but on inspection there was nothing hanging down. I was told the sway bar link could have broken and is rubbing the rotor but this wasn't happening. I also suspected wheel bearings but was told this almost never happens on this model. I was also told it could be the parking brake but nothing happens when I engage it. It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing (it grinds and scrapes instead of roaring) but when taking the load off(turning right) the noise subsides. I would like to have some idea of my problem before turning the car over to a HIGH priced Mercedes mechanic. Thanks, Mike.

Last edited by cooter; 06-15-2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added text