View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 11:49 AM

Racing,

I took some photos of the main support bearing, the one that fits in a bore in the block with a significant sized pocket behind it where the bearing ended up essentially on its own with a bunch of babbet debris, and the distributor drive sprocket and gear assembly. The babbet material is nearly destroyed, and in its "final" location, it has spun into a position where it blocked the oil flow hole in the bearing support ring.

The outside diameter support ring on this bearing is split, which kind of surprised me, but that must be how they get the bearing to stay in place in the bore in the block. As you push it into place the spring in the outer ring sort of holds it in position? Since the bearing is so destroyed I am not sure I have all of it, and wonder how it is pushed into place and then retained and the bore in the block does not seem to have a lip or anything to keep the bearing from going into the cavity behind it. Any hints would be appreciated.

The bearing support bore in the block is relatively unmarked as well. I am enclosing a photo of that as well, as I was concerned the bearing was spinning in the bore and might have damaged the bore. Seems ok to me. Let me know if you see anything that would suggest otherwise.

The journal on the sprocket and gear assembly that engages this ruined bearing is seriously marked up. Not real deep grooves and the like, but really covered in circumferential grooving (light), smeared babbet material and generally worn unevenly axially across the surface of the journal. Nasty.

The sprocket seems to be worn pretty heavily, with an imprint of the chain link on every two teeth. The distributor drive gear on the same shaft seems ok, some minor optically apparent wear marks (kind of a shiny line where contact was made) but no removed metal, and nothing that picks up lint from a cloth or is detectable as a depression when closely visually examining the surfaces.

The journal on the end that is supported in the front cover is relatively fine. It looks like it does not engage the bearing on the other side much past the oil supply hole. I take it this bearing is not that heavily loaded.

The bearing in the front cover is very lightly scored over about one-third of the circumference and the rest is essentially untouched. It looks like the journal hardly touches the bulk of the bearing surface. None of the marks is particularly deep and cannot be felt by pushing your finger in the hole. The clearance between the journal and the bearing babbet feels like it is a couple of thousandths of an inch, which means it is not tight, but not really sloppy.

Let me know what you think. Thanks, Jim

Photos show the distributor drive gear main bearing damage. There was a good deal of the babbet from this bearing stashed in the pocket behind the bore for this bearing in the block. Serious damage.

The next photo shows a close up of the distributor drive sprocket and gear assembly main journal bearing. Also serious damage.

The next photo the whole distributor drive sprocket and gear assembly showing both journals.

The last photo is of the Bore in the block for the distributor drive sprocket and gear assembly main journal bearing. The bearing shows readily apparent signs of having spun in this bore, yet the bore looks and feels pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
1986 190E 2.3-16 Chain Guide Rail Replacement-distributor-drive-gear-bearing-damage-second-view.jpg   1986 190E 2.3-16 Chain Guide Rail Replacement-close-up-distributor-drive-assembly-main-journal-bearing.jpg   1986 190E 2.3-16 Chain Guide Rail Replacement-distributor-drive-sprocket-gear-assembly.jpg   1986 190E 2.3-16 Chain Guide Rail Replacement-bore-block-distributor-drive-sprocket-gear-assembly-main-journal-bearing.jpg  
1988 300E 5-speed 252,000 miles,
1983 240D 4-speed, purchased w/136,000, now with 222,000 miles.
2009 ML320CDI Bluetec, 89,000 miles

Owned:
1971 220D (250,000 miles plus, sold to father-in-law),
1975 240D (245,000 miles - died of body rot),
1991 350SD (176,560 miles, weakest Benz I have owned),
1999 C230 Sport (45,400 miles),
1982 240D (321,000 miles, put to sleep)