View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 PM
<- Ryuko of Kill La Kill

98 E300TD - name that clack...

OK, so I've been here for hours reading all the helpful info in the DIY section and I want to try to put some of that knowlege to use with a noise that just developed with my car.

This morning it was about 67 deg. When I started the car, it was missing, only running on 4 or 5 cyl and making a loud, intermittant clacking sound that seemed to be coming from the top of the engine rather than a lower, rod knock sound.

It seems to be only one cylinder and it really sounds much like the normal sound of my GF's TDI except that it's only doing it on one cyl. A kind of "raspy" clack. As the car warmed, the noise has gotten quieter and has settled down to what I would call a valve train click. It's noticable only at idle. At speed, the engine performs and runs perfectly aside from only delivering 27-29 MPG.

Could this be what I've heard referred to as "nailing"? I'm reluctant to do the ole' Italian Overhaul because I'm always suspicious of any knocking engine noise and I figure any stress will only make it worse. Aside from that, I'm getting an intermittant "oil level at minimum" warning and despite the fact that the dipstick is on full, I worry a little that something is up with the oil system. Again, I'm reluctant to run it hard. I've only had the car for a week so I'm not up on all the "normal" noises yet.

My Powerstroke Diesel did this one time I got bad fuel so I just filled up and I'll see if it makes a difference. Other than that, I figure I'll try the diesel purge procedure and I'll test the glow plugs to try to see if that's the root of the poor starting problem.

While I'm in there, should I do anything with the injectors? the car has 136,000 miles now and I've read that they should have new nozzles at 100K. I've also read about the trouble people have getting them balanced, etc... and I don't want to open any cans of worms.

Any comments are appreciated.

Benz Fleet:
1968 UNIMOG 404.114
1998 E300
2008 E63

Non-Benz Fleet:
1992 Aerostar
1993 MR2
2000 F250