View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 10:29 PM

been there done that

Several years ago my '85 wagon had been down for awhile, maybe 3 or 4 weeks, and i had been driving my wife's toyota gasser while it was down. the first day i put the wagon back on the road i pulled up to the pump (the kind where the diesel and gas are side by side). somehow i had a brain freeze (i remember the diesel handle wasn't green but was black just like the gas handle) and proceeded to FILL IT with gasoline. i proceeded to drive it home (around 2 miles). about half way home, probably about the time it took for all the straight diesel to flush through the system, i felt someting strange. by the time i was 3/4 way home i knew something was very wrong as the car was shaking rather violently and as i pulled onto my street i realized what i had done. Luckily i waqs able to drain the tank, bleed the system and refill it with diesel. no other problems after that. a few weeks later i realized the engine was running better than it ever had. i spoke to a mechanic about this and he told me, although it was not his recommended way, i had cleaned the motor thoroughly by putting the gas in a running a little through the system. please no one go out and do this based on my story as i would not want to be responsible in any way for anything that went wrong. the way i look at it i just got really lucky