View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 PM

Question Shut off problem is almost gone

Today, based on the very knowledgable advice of people on this forum I disconnected my EGR. Pretty easy stuff. And believe me, if it's easy for me...............While I was under my hood I figured I would try to find my shut off "issue". I used my brand new mityvac: NOTE TO ALL OTHER NOOBS, BUY ONE TODAY!! I hooked it up to the brown line going to the shut off valve and saw that I as getting 20hg. Hmmm. then why the heck isn't my engine turning off? I pulled the hose off the nipple on the cut off valve and replaced it with a smaller ID hose, hooked it back up and the car actualy stopped...............about 5-10 seconds after I turned the key off. Much better than having to lift the hood to shut it off everytime, but still some work to be done apparently. I have the yellow door lock plastic thing plugged, my green line coming out of the fiewall holds vac, I am geting 23hg of the booster line.....Is the fuel shut off valve bad? Oh, one more thing, during my italian tune up, i noticed a greyish/black cloud behind me as I was approaching 80mph, but when I took my foot off the peddle a sizable cloud of DARK smoke came out. I am hoping that is carbon/soot. Am I may running too rich or is that a result of disconnecting the EGR because it has never happened before on other Italian tune ups. Any suggestions would be great!