Thread: Am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 07:52 AM

Smile Am I crazy?

In need of some advice because some of my friends think I"m crazy for doing this but I want to save money for savings and retirement (38 year old) and I think this makes more sense but I want to check with the experts here and hope to get some unbiased opinions.

I currently own a '07 Honda CR-V. Drives nice, easy to maintain, great gas mileage but on the boring side, payments for the next 5 plus years, lots of depreciation, more insurance cost than older car.

I have a deposit on an '85 300D (still haven't picked it up), 130,000 miles, everything works, no rust, excellent condition, new tires, $4500 (nonmechanic here).

If I sell the CR-V, I am going to lose a few thousand dollars but feel that can be made up with all of the money I will save with the '85 as far as cheap insurance (if there is such a thing), no monthly car payment, and I feel that when I go to sell her down the road that I won't lose much by way of depreciation, etc. My friends tell me that I am crazy for buying a 22 year old car and I'll having nothing but problems with things breaking from the age. I drive an average of 1,000 miles a month and have a '98 Nissan Frontier that I can drive when she's in the shop. I have owned MB's before and my '95 E320 was in the shop more than I drove it, kind of a bad experience, but my favorite car that I have owned thus far. I just love the engineering on these things, but I am not a mechanic and have to rely on one.

What do you think I should do? Any advice is appreciated.

Confused in Miami