View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DiSilvestro View Post
The spray-on fireproofing might have been the stuff that could be 'sneezed' off. Or, with the way things often work in the modern world, perhaps the stuff wasn't properly applied. Or in this case, there simply wasn't a reliable way to protect the steel from the effects of a catastrophic airliner impact. In any event, according to one of the original architects interveiwed for a PBS Frontline documentary on the WTC, the buildings were simply not designed to survive the type of disaster that occured on 9-11.

Happy Motoring, Mark
I think it is true that an impact of the type that occurred was not at all contemplated during the design. Who could imagine a sane person would fly an airliner into a building? NObody back then....but now....

I also heard, I believe, that the asbestos may have been applied too lightly by the insulation contractor and the parties responsible for quality control may have received something to not notice. I cannot remember the source of this idea but that is in my memory banks.

Reinforced concrete seems the best solution in my mind. The huge structure in Dubais is being constructed of it, IIRC.

I suspect height may be limited by RC due to the weight of the building material. In any case a limit of this nature may be a good thing.

I don't see how you can make a really tall building safe for people to live in using the current exiting methods specified by code....stairs. A person of some age or other limitation in mobility simply cannot be expected to navigate 200 floors of stairs (picking a number out of the sky). No pun intended....originally.

Tom W
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.