View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 01:00 PM

trunk light draining battery

i have previously determined that my trunk light was draining my battery because the plunger on the light switch was not being pushed in far enough when the trunk lid was shut. so i applied a little plastic drawer bumper to the sill to build up the area where the plunger touches the trunk sill. (see pic, but ignore all the junk in my trunk). after having been gone for a week on vacation, i came back to a totally dead battery. after a recharge all last night I once again checked the current drain by applying my multitester between the negative battery terminal and the negative cable. it drew .79 amps which i knew was too much. So i opened the trunk lid and removed the trunk bulb which reduced the current draw to .03 amps. much better.

does anyone know of a way to attach an extender to the trunk light switch plunger so it well be pressed in further when the trunk is closed? there are threads on the area where the plunger goes into the switch. is there anything out there that can be used? (see pic)

thanks for any insight.
Attached Thumbnails
trunk light draining battery-trunk-light-plunger.jpg   trunk light draining battery-trunk-sill.jpg  

86 560SEL, 128K