View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Marine Engineer (retired)

Talking Don't know that book.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Incorrect, I suggest you read the owners manual and the Bosch highlights manual.
Will check the owners manual.....

My manual says: Depress accelerator halfway and turn idle speed adjuster counterclockwise to the stop. Then release accelerator (only on 240D) It has a scenario for Ambient temp exceeding 0*C / +32*F with no mention of the Accelerator....and a scenario for Ambient Temperature below 0*C / 32*F where it tells you to depress the accelerator.......and release accelerator slowly.....

I would think that it is MB's intent to add a little extra fuel for cold starting....because as I said as the engine speed increases the fuel rack closes to it's setpoint....which would be idle with no pressure on pedal....

don't know about a "Bosch Highlights Manual" ...but what I do know is.....after the engine stop device pulls the rack....it is in fact attached to the rack itself....but allows for rack movement....to full stop.....and the engine stops......the fuel rack will return to full fuel for starting.....the accelerator is attached to a lever on the backside of the FIP....that lever is connected inside to a set of "suitable linkage", involving a couple of pivot points and levers.....a yoke sits in a collar that is moved by the the flyweights acting against the speeder spring....this yoke moves a part of the linkage......and will move the fuel rack to Full when the set speed (by accelerator pedal) is greater than engine speed.....at rest the rack should be at Full rack until the engine gets close to the set speed of the pedal...with no movement of the pedal this will be "Idle Speed"......actual difference in speed where the fuel rack begins to close is determined by a fulcrum point and another spring and some lever action.....

Please remember that it has been nearly 10 years since I did this for a living....so I may be off a bit on this description.....but I will stand by "Full Rack at Start regardless of accelerator position.....

SB

Diesels:
'85 300D, "Max, Blue Benz", 155K, 27.0 MPG
'84 190D 2.2, "Eva, Brown Benz", 142K, 40.2 MPG
'77 240D (parts car)
'67 Eicher ES 202 Tractor "Otto" (2cyl, Air Cooled, 30HP)
Gassers:
'94 Ford F-150, "Henry", 170K (300 Six) 17.5 MPG
'85 190E 2.3, 148K....Parts Car
'58 Dodge W300M Powerwagon (Flat Fenders) Less than 10 MPG

Last edited by Shorebilly; 06-24-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: additional commentary