Thread: Sunroof
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 PM

Unhappy Sunroof

Went to open the roof the other day and it seems something in there has come ungimbled again.

First of all, this problem came suddenly with no known external influence (no trash slid back with the roof, etc)

I opened and closed it one morning, no problem. Went to do the same thing that evening (opening to drive home...) and I heard the motor running... but nothing moved.

I've been afraid to try to move it ever since, I just put it back to the "Closed" position and I heard the motor run a second more and then sounded like it closed normally. Tried it once more, same result.

Neither the cloth cover on the inside nor the solid metal sliding part outside seem to move at all -but I can hear the motor (sounds normal for the 2 seconds i've had the nerve to run it).

What to do? Any idea other than "seal it shut and forget about it" is appreciated; I know that's the practical solution (it's given trouble once before already) but I can't stand the thought of that, the sunroof was a major buying point of the car and I can't stand the thought of another 100,000 miles without it.

~Michael S.~
Past cars:

1986 300SDL
1987 300SDL
1982 240D
1982 300SD

Current:

1987 300SDL