View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the input! I haven’t had a chance to get in here since I submitted the post and apologize for not responding earlier.

Lance, are you saying I should buy a flywheel for a European 300D with manual transmission and have my 240D flywheel balanced to match it?

If this is the case, I’m I to assume I’d return the new 300D flywheel after using it to get the balancing correct on the 240D one?

My engine is from a 300D automatic I’m converting to manual, so why wouldn’t I just use the new 300D flywheel and throw the 240D one?

Numerous people have told me I need to balance the entire crank assembly with the new flywheel. Is anybody knowledgeable on this?

The adapter to mate the 240D bell housing to the NP435 transmission was made by a friend of mine here in Oregon and is pretty slick.

I was shocked to find the input shaft on the NP435 was exactly the right length and the OD end fit the ID of the Mercedes pilot bearing perfectly.

The NP435 came out of a 1-ton Chevy and I didn’t need to make any changes to it even though it’s SAE and the Mercedes is metric.

I did however need to have a custom clutch plate made, as the splines on the input shaft didn’t match the female ones on the Mercedes.

To mount the engine in the 56’ Willys, I cut the cross member with motor mounts out of the Mercedes and welded it into the frame of the Willys.

It’s all currently mounted in the frame, but I should be able to get some pictures of the adapter sandwiched between the bell housing and tranny.

MB300se65