View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 PM

the continuing saga of my 300TD battery draw down

I'm back after a brief hiatus. With a second set of eyes on the problem, I found that there is indeed a draw on my battery. I was trying to jump it today (I know, I know - I need to get my hands on a charger) and while we were waiting for a charge I was in the cabin poking around and trying to figure out the radio wiring (which we did!) What I found was that the lights for the AC control unit on the console were on! (and an obvious culprit for drawing my battery down.)

We took out the fuse for the overhead lights, etc. that the AC controls are on. Unfortunately, the battery never did get enough juice from jumping it so I couldn't get the car started, but I am a lot closer now than I was.

Now I need to figure out why those lights were on. According to the shop manual are connected to the light switch with is hot at all times, which connected to the instrument cluster (more on that in a minute), which is connected to the fiber optic connection (how does this thing work?), which is finally connected to the AC controls in the center console.

Is there something wrong with my light switch? I had to do some work on the instrument cluster and I re-grounded it because it was acting up. Is it possible to do this incorrectly? Any other thoughts?

Thanks again!

I have the wiring diagrams and introduction for anyone who is interested.

1982 300TD "Goldie"