View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 PM

1982 300D Vacuum Issues...I'm at a loss

Thanks in advance for all the info I have gleaned from this board. I have a host of issues with 2 diesels right now, and I have been able to work through most of them with the info I have gotten from the DIY pages and searching the forum.

The cars are a 1982 300D and a 1982 300TD.

The vacuum system was pretty sound on the sedan with the exception of the door locks, but my vacuum woes have increased since I started working on the car. This is what I’ve done:

Removed the vacuum lines to the black box on the crankcase and removed the Tee’s and connected the lines directly to each other where needed as per Brian Carlton to bypass the EGR.

Cleaned out the banjo bolt and line to the ALDA.

Diesel Purge and valve adjustment.

The shifts were quite stiff, so I adjusted the modulator counter clockwise 2 clicks and got the vacuum to read 14” at idle down to 1” at full throttle while adjusting the VCV nut under the dome. It reads 6.5” at the 10mm span between the lever and the stop. A little tweaking on the Bowden and I have a car that shifts smooth and slightly firm only from first to second now. It feels great compared to the neck snapping experience before the adjustments. Thanks a million to all those that posted the procedures on this board.

Now for the odd stuff:

All the vents and CC were working properly, but now the center vents don’t work.

The car no longer shuts off properly. It slowly dies after turning the key off and takes about 4 seconds. I hooked my mighty vac to the shut off valve on the IP and when I drew vacuum the car shut right down. I don’t remember if it holds vacuum, but I will check today. The brown vacuum hose coming from the ignition switch to the IP is oily and leaking oil at the switch.

The door locks don’t work at all now, when before they were a little slow and after the car sat for a while wouldn’t work at all.

I know it’s a long post and I appreciate any input. My big concerns are the car not shutting off and the center vents not working when they did 2 days ago. I will get into the door lock system tomorrow. I was also wondering if while tweaking the tranny vacuum system and bypassing the EGR I may have affected the other systems in the car. I have re-checked vacuum connections and hose and tee integrity and don’t see any problems there, but will give the system another going over. Thanks Again.

1978 300SD China Blue 178k
1982 300TD Manila Beige 120k
1982 300D Manila Beige 192k
1984 300SD Needs Paint 240k