View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Same place, Similar Symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry edwards View Post
...Coming home over Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70, it was laboring. Climbing those passes it was 30mph or so, in second gear around 3k rpm's. I'd done the same route in March in cooler weather for a canoe trip with about 300-400 less lbs. It ran most of the pass in 3rd gear with the reduced load.
I had to work the transmission manually quite a bit to avoid bogging down. Slight grades slowed me down and I was shifting into 3rd gear around 52mph.
Kerry,

Several years ago I was driving my '85 wagon, medium load (@1000lbs), East from California to Chicago, via Red Rocks ampitheatre. I started having the same symptoms you speak of as i got into Utah and the hills. By the time I got to Glenwood Springs I could barely get up any incline. This is how/why I found that mechanic in GS. It turned out to be the line that runs off the banjo bolt on the back of the turbo needed cleaning and also my altitude adjustment needed an attitude adjustment (sorry couldn't resist that one).

After cleaning that line out I flew over the vail pass. it was incredible the difference it made. I don't think I ever got the altitude adjust to work properly and still don't really understand about it's function too well.

Also I have heard that towing behind the wagons is really hard on the transmission. That is why I have hesitated to put a hitch on mine, although now that i have a back up (and a parts car) i might try it once i get my '85 back in action.

peace,
woody