View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Question Its all in my head....

Currently I am working on my beloved bargain-bought 1985 500SEL. I absolutely LOVE this car. Everything about it is unbelievable! Dual climate control in 1985?!?! Now that's technology. Not to mention all the other advanced technology that isn't even in cars today.

So I've got this problem... I've taken off the valve covers and this has revealed to me that the timing chain guide rails have been snapped. The tensioner rail is OK, but I'd assumed it needs replacing too since the others have seen their day and the cars is 22 years old, just for safety.

So various timing chain guide rails are on order.......

I don't have a manual and have done extensive searches on this problem and many other websites and have come up with nothing on even just a little info in part of how to get my heads off of the car. It's a V8 (obviously) and the right head (as I'm looking at it from front) is the one with bent/possibly broken valves, but the left head is perfectly fine.

I've unloosened many many large bolts, but there are some that seem near impossible to get to!! Like the ones holding the exhaust manifolds to the head (or block, i forget and its pouring outside or I'd look). Basically I am at a standstill right now trying to figure out HOW IN THE HELL to get the heads off. I've taken heads off of many cars, older and newer, but nothing like this. This seems a little strange.

So if anyone can give me any tips on what to do, I'd appreciate it. Tips like if I gotta get some "hidden" bolts out that may be holding the head to the intake somehow or what kind of tools I could use to get to those exhaust manifold bolts.

Finally, a manual for this job is a MUST, so if anyone can recommend me a manual for an 1985 500SEL that is high quality, cheap, and is popular amongst this forum community as being a thorough manual, I'd hold that in high regards.

Once again, if pictures of someone that has been through this (heads taken off) could PLEASE post various ones so that I may get a better understanding of what is going on with the situation, that would be very helpful as well!!

I'm a pretty good mechanic but I'm tired of messing around with silly stuff when I can jump directly to the problem point with my peers' help in a shorter time span!

Peace, Love, Empathy -

J.Ray
1985 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - Auto to Manual Tranny conversion - Black
1991 Volvo 940GLE - My everyday driver - Pewter