View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 11:03 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns View Post
Well the general concensus is DIY with new rotors!

I feel M-B has done a great job convincing 'the owner' that there car's are well engineered and important to go with 'new rotors and factory pads'.

Yes, my 29K mile SL factory brakes work great with no noise. But, it's the black dust that I'm tired of. I don't have ANY on my new Honda wheels.

Why is it that a Ford Taurus front rotor can be turned 2-3 times but a M-B rotor needs to be replaced? Not even one turn is suggested. It's my idea to turn the rotor in order to assure a smooth surface and remove any old pad compound. $80 turned vs $350 for new ones.

So far I have not heard of anyone having problems after putting a Ceramic pad with a M-B rotor. Only good feedback of brake feel with no brake dust or noise.

On my Taurus I was only able to get one turn on them if I was lucky. Since the price of rotors came down considerably in the 90's I gave up turning rotors even on the Taurus. I just replace them on all cars. First off you never know if the turn is going to be sucessful untill you do it. All cars today that I am aware of wear the rotors along with the pads. I belive that is because of the introduction of semi-metalic pads. Years ago before semi-metalic pads I just replaced pads unless they wore down to the metal that was about all you had to do.

You can turn them. MB calls out a minimum thickness.

I wish ceramic pads were available for the 560SL.

John Roncallo