View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdisav View Post
Head is fine. It is only the gasket. The head is going to be machined and everything is going back together. Does $2800 sound high for this job? It did to me. It is at $110 an hour. That includes the entire R&R and the machining.
It's definitely too high from an hourly perspective. R & R of the head for an experienced mechanic shouldn't be more than 12 hours. I'll bet a very good one can beat this time. The cost of the gasket set and other assorted BS is not more than $150. unless they replaced the head bolts. If so, add another $125.

The cost to rework the head by an outside machine shop should be no more than $700., including OE seals and guides, if no valves or prechambers are utilized.

So, $2000, maximum for this job. But, like any other highly technical job, they can charge more..........where else are you going to go?

It cost me about $1350. for that job with a replacement head (mine was cracked), new exhaust valves, prechambers, guides and seals, gasket set and new head bolts. Labor was free.