View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Moderating, Eh?

Update

I had the oil changed about a month ago and am using Elf LSX Synthetic 5W30 (229.5 spec).

When I started the car this morning, after the car had been sitting for two days, it blew some blue smoke. The smoke only lasted a few seconds and then the car ran clear.

I also have been watching the oil level and since the last oil change, it has consumed some oil. It has used just under one quart in 1240 miles (or about 0.8L in 2000 Km).

My tech has advised using a cleaner/detergent to remove engine sludge at the next oil change. If this does not help, he then potentially suggested valve stem seals, though he mentioned he hasn't seen too many valve stem problems with this engine. I found this in a search, which seems to echo my tech's opinion -

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxthe1 View Post
I'd agree that the M112 engine should not be burning that much oil. Most likely the rings are sludged and leaking oil past. When encountered at the shop I work for we recommend doing an "engine flush" with a BG product specificaly designed to cut sludge out of engines. Doing this almost always improves oil consumption execept in the worst case scenarios. With the relatively low mileage of your engine, I doubt that you have a "worst case".
Any other ideas? The car has only blown smoke twice (that I've noticed), and each time it has been after the car has been sitting a while. Once driving, etc. it is clear and never blows any smoke. Runs perfectly and idle is smooth. Could it be the valve stem seals or is it more likely rings (gulp)? TIA.
1998 E430 - sold
1989 300E - 333,000 Km - sold
1977 280E - sold
1971 250 - retired

"And a frign hat. They gave me a hat at the annual benefits meeting. I said. how does this benefit me. I dont have anything from the company.. So they gave me a hat." - TheDon

Last edited by Zeus; 07-16-2007 at 07:21 PM.