View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 PM

1980 380SL Euro Starting Problems

I Have a 1980 380SL Euro that I can't get started.It starts and runs for a short time and then stalls.It had been sitting for about 3 years.I changed the fuel pump(bad), fuel filter,all fuel lines to the pump from the tank.Changed the strainer in the tank and cleaned and flushed the tank.The cold start valve and the thermo time switch were also changed.If I do get it running it stumbles and stalls.I changed the spark plugs too.If I can get it up to about 3000 rpm it will run for about 5 minutes and then acts like I shut it off.I know the cold start valve is not working,so I checked the wiring from the starter and I'm only getting about 8 volts,should be 10, to the cold start valve.Battery is new,so that is not the problem I've ordered a new starter from ******** AZ.(great place for parts,by the way) It acts like it's starving for fuel.If I spray gas into the throttle body housing,it will run as long as I keep spraying gas It's begining to get to me.Any help will be appreciated. Thanks again...