View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 AM

Guess what, another soft top question!!!

Hello all, I've posted this item on another forum and received a detailed response that it is most likely either a leaky cylinder or a weak pump. I don't seem to be losing fluid and thought that maybe there are other thoughts/opinions. Thanks in advance, Ron

Hello, I have a '90 300SL with 84K in great condition. I've had soft top paranoia since I bought the car 2 1/2 yrs. ago. I don't drive it in the rain; thus, I don't put the top up often. Today, as I parked the sky was threatening so it was time to cross my fingers and raise the top. Everything appeared OK except the red light (top up/down button) did not go off although it wasn't flashing and the annoying chime didn't come on. After returning from a walk 2 hrs later (it never rained), I lowered the top. The back cover unlatched and only raised 6" or so. I raised it by hand and the rear of the soft also only rose a few inches. As my wife pushed the button I slowly raised the back section and when it reached the proper height all else operated fine. The red light went out. I did check the hydraulic fluid tank and it was at the proper level. Also, there are no signs of any leaking cylinders. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ron