View Single Post
Old 01-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Jim_Crews

Maintenance issues

Quote:
Originally posted by bpkinatl
Jim - super car! Any maintenance issues I would need to be aware of since the car was originally spec'd for the German Market?

bpkinatl

I haven't found any difference in the DOT and EPA requirements on the ones sold in Germany and the ones exported to the States. As far as parts, I have two parts catalogs I have already ordered from and the part numbers are the same for the parts I've needed.

I've owned Mercedes since 1972. And of all Mercedes of all, this one has been the most trouble-free.

The only parts I've needed has been routine maintenance parts such as plugs, distributor caps, rotor buttons, spark plug compressors, and oxygen sensor which I've replaced every 24 months since new.

These parts (except oxygen sensor) are the same as all 119 engines, including the 430. I have been amazed at seeing some articles whereby the people think that parts for 500E's are hard to come by.

I sincerely believe if the timing chain on this car is changed every 100,000 miles and the oil that I've used since new (Valvoline Dura Blend 10W40) is continued to be used, the engine of this car is good for more than a half of a million miles.

I've never abused it. It was made to run the left lane of the autobahn and that's exactly what I've used it for. I can assure you, running this car at high speed (high RPM in 4th gear) will not hurt it. In fact it seems to run better under these conditions.