View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 PM

cant find Ac leak

Well, having completely destroyed and replacing the dash to replace the evaporator, i have yet to solve my AC problem. I have put in the flourescent dyes and found some at the old evaporator, and figured the problem was solved. i have checked all the fittings and the coil (which was new about 6 months ago), and cant find any dye.

So i recharge the system and put in a good shot of dye, run the car for several days and the gauges read 30 on the low and 240 on the high side--the ambient air temp was 96+. i thought the high side might have been too high, ( just figuring out this AC stuff) but i figured that the difference in the pressure was an indication that the compressor was working well. my goal was to just keep gas in the system, and hoping to tweak the gas pressure later, relying on the HP switch to protect things if too high.

2 days later i go on a trip and notice its not as cool---the next day of traveling the AC is doing nothing---i notice the compressor is not running and squeeze the hoses and they are slack, so the LP switch has it turned off.

i get the yellow glasses and blacklight and look everywhere---behind the gauges at the connections, everywhere i can see in the engine compartment, and i see nothing.

the only thing left is the compressor, since i have replaced nearly everything else, including the hoses. i can no oil or dye around or near the compressor, but i have to try to get underneath it tomorrow and look closer.

any suggestions as to what i have been missing? i thought this dye stuff makes it easy to find these leaks--i know its in there because i can see it if i let gas out of the shraeder valve. it seems to me to leak down faster while the compressor is running. after the evaporator was replaced, i put a deep vacuum on the system and it held for about an hour, and the needles then moved down a bit........

after all this work on the evaporator, it is pretty disappointing that this was a partial fix at the most----any ideas will be appreciated.

thanks.