View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 03:01 PM

oil and fluid change frequency on w124

I have a basic question: frequency of oil and fluid change on my 1992 400e with 180k miles. First, the car so far (three months in) is great. Fingers crossed. I love driving it every day.

The thing is I only drive it about 3 miles a day, 1.5 miles each way to work, with about 5-7 stops/lights between my house and work. Of course, i take it out on the freeway every now and then and do other errands, etc.

But I tend to put about 4-5k miles on a car a year only.

I know, sort of a waste of a 400e...i take it out for fun when I get a chance and because the car seems to be happy when hauling down the freeway at 80+ most of all. At about 45 the whole car just opens up and flies.

The PO did freeway driving almost exclusively, for whatever that is worth. And changed the oil regularly at the rec interval for miles (i have the receipts)

I have regular oil and am hesitant to switch to synth since the car has always been run on dino.

My mech, who seems great, and who has taken care of the car for 10 years, recommended getting the oil changed every 3-4 months given the mileage and the sort of driving I do.

Just wondering what experiences and suggestions more experienced owners might have.

thanks!

any oils recommended? does the "high-mileage" stuff make any difference?

Also, how should this affect tranny fluid change intervals, etc?

Hey, sorry for the typo in the title.

400e >> 1992 >> 196k miles
Black Pearl Metallic/Grey Interior