View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Electrons can do anything

Thanks Steve and Jim for your insights. My system was loosing freon slowly. I ended up finding a number of small leaks. All the leaks were under the hood. They were;

1. High pressure switch
2. O rings at the fuel cooler
3. O rings between the condenser and the compressor hose
4. Crimped hose connection just in front of the left side of the radiator on the high side line running to the expansion valve.

I have eliminated all the leaks except for the high side hose crimp. Since I was not able to get it disconnected at the expansion valve so I left the high side hose in place - for now. My system cools like the north pole. I do not intend to change my expansion valve and I do not want to remove it from the evaporator coil either. When attempting to get the line off, I noticed that it wanted to bend. It needed to well anchored before attempting to remove the high side hose connection. I did not want to bend the line running into the evaporator. So I left it alone for now. Since I stopped 4 of the 5 leaks I just recharged it and left the hose replacement for a rainy day. We will see how long the freon lasts before I need to recharge. The leak is small - near the limit of my detector. So I might be good for quite a while.

Thanks again.

78 Corvette Stingray - 3k
82 242 Turbo Volvo - Manual - 270k
86 300e 5 speed manual - 210k
87 420sel - 240k
89 560sl - 78k
91 420sel - 205k
91 560sel - 85k
94 GMC Suburban - 90k
97 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail - 25k
00 GMC Silverado 1 ton 30k