View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Bob's your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wooldridge View Post
The fuel line cooler isn't included on the earlier SL models, so the cooler, although very desirable, probably isn't totally necessary. The Mercedes engineers must have run into a hot location that made the cooler desirable. My '82 doesn't have it. It is hard to second-guess why it's not hooked up, but my guess would be that the previous owner found it hard to get the correct fuel lines, not that the cooler had a problem.
By the way, the AC is ALWAYS operational, except when the "economy" or "off" pushbuttons are depressed. (The compressor is engaged for all pushbutton positions except the two on the right end of the row.)
This is for an '87 560 SL so I am assumeing that the cooler was operational when the car left the factory which leads me to beleive that someone later disconnected the cooler.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the compressor is off when the AC is off. When compressor is off there is no circulation of coolant, no condensing and thus no cooling. In most cases when you drive with the top down you would not use the AC anyway.

What are the pro/cons for keeping it disconnected vs. reconnecting it?

On another note; where can you find the shopmanuals for an '87 SL on CD/DVD? I know that you can get the printed manuals from MB's Classic Center for about $35 but for searching the CD might be good as well.