View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Loser

KABOOM! my rear suspension HURTS.

so, i was driving my just-purchased '85 300td back from Texas, and had my wagon REALLY loaded down and was noticing suspension fluid leaking out from the valve at the rear of the car...i climbed under, and found that the 'suspension pull rod' pivots were totally disintegrated and it was just kinda hanging there. for lack of parts availability, i was in a tough situation. i tried to keep the fluid level full on the trip, but fluid wasn't readily available either and i was having tons of other simultaneous problems, so she ran dry with the pull rod 'hanging' for quite a while.

when i got her (towed) home, all the fluid in the reservoir was gone, so i filled it up and replaced the pull rod with a new one. she didn't seem to "take" any fluid. (i filled the reservoir up to the top with the motor off, and then started the motor and the fluid level stayed the same). i checked for self-levelling by pushing up on the actuator, and it still works! (the back end will raise and lower).

i've been hoping for the best, as she's never sagged noticably, but since then, i've noticed a huge KA-BOOM! in the rear suspension every time i hit a bump. she doesn't "bounce," it's just a really harsh hit and resulting sound...stiff as a board.

now what?

former proud owner of:
'85 mercedes euro 300TD
'80 mercedes 300TD
'77 mercedes 280e
'80 mercedes euro 250
'82 mercedes euro 250

Last edited by blankenship; 09-10-2007 at 08:34 PM.