View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 08:29 AM
Electrons can do anything
Ok Ill just have to chime in on the subject of the master link. I too have read the threads here and have seen differing opions. I talked to the local MB dealers in Houston and 2 of them confirmed that the link goes on the front of the chain, and is installed as shown in the attached photo. The closed end of the link should be on the leading edge of the direction of travel. I can envision a number of reasons for this. There are centrifigal forces acting on the link trying to pry it open. It probably makes contact with the rails and tensioner as it passes over them and friction would want to make it slide in the oposite direction of the chain movement. So it stands to reason in my mind that one would want to install the link so it tends to push it in the direction of the closed end. Otherwise it might be able to push the clip off. So you orient it so the friction forces push the clip on. Makes sense to me.

So looking at the front of the chain it should be installed as shown here. The MB dealers also stated that they do not use the press tool to flare the master link and they only use the clip type link. So thats the way its done in Houston. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
560SEC Timing Chain and Guides ready to replace?-mvc-365s.jpg  
I got too many cars!! Insurance eats me alive. Dave

78 Corvette Stingray - 3k
82 242 Turbo Volvo - Manual - 270k
86 300e 5 speed manual - 210k
87 420sel - 240k
89 560sl - 78k
91 420sel - 205k
91 560sel - 85k
94 GMC Suburban - 90k
97 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail - 25k
00 GMC Silverado 1 ton 30k

Last edited by dpetryk; 01-11-2002 at 08:57 AM.