View Single Post
Old 01-12-2002, 10:14 PM
Unbanned...?

Unhappy OM603 - oil level sensor oddity

Hi all,

When I bought my second '87 300D last summer, several service records noted that the PO complained of the oil level idiot light on the dash coming on under hard left turns. The dealers never found the cause, and/or couldn't duplicate the problem. I noticed it also, it only happens when the oil is hot (20+ minutes of driving). Once I got to go around a loooooong left turn, a big sweeper on a mountainside, at 55+ MPH, for a good 30 seconds or so. The light stayed on the whole time yet the oil pressure remained pegged at "3". So, I'm not worried about screwing up the engine. I assumed the sender was flaky, and since these senders tend to start leaking anyway, I replaced it - hoping that would cure the problem. Yesterday I changed the oil (Delvac-1) and put the new sensor in. Guess what? Same problem. It's obviously not the oil type, or the sender itself (old one appeared fine when removed.) Yes, the oil level is correct, before (between marks) and after the change (put in 8.0 quarts).

Question: What could cause this? Is there some baffling in the oil pan that a previous mechanic could have removed, causing this problem? My other 1987 300D has NEVER exhibited this problem, and my b-i-l's doesn't either.

Thanks!

Dave M.
Sacramento, CA
1987 300D - 229kmi
1987 300D - 235kmi (flaky oil level sender)
1984 300D - 206kmi