View Single Post
Old 01-13-2002, 09:59 AM

Tom: This may or may not be your problem, but I offer this suggestion. The hardtop locking pins on the driver's and passenger's side are both adjustable. As I recall, the chrome cap that you insert the handle into pops off and you can then screw the pin (which is really a bolt) in or out. The pin has a couple of "tits" on the end of it that grap the locking bracket on the body. If your locking handle doesn't turn far enough, it's because the pin is not projecting deep enough into the locking bracket and thus cannot be turned very far. If the handle turns too easily, the pin may be adjusted too long, thus the tits go too far into the locking bracket and when the handle is turned, it simply does not pull the top down tightly.

I have 2 of these cars, and on one of them, the upper right portion of driver's window was tearing up the rubber door seal on the hardtop every time the door was opened and closed. I found after much frustration that the problem was the adjustment of the hardtop locking pins. One was so tight that it pulled the hardtop down too far and caused the window to rub the seal. I adjusted both pins, and now the window does not rub. The point here is that the top can be adjusted for fit.

Good luck. John Downey