View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Proud MB Owner

Being an owner of an SL600, I can speak from experience - they are expensive cars to keep running well. Everything from oil changes (that's 11 quarts of synthetic Mobil 1 oil) to spark plugs (there's 12 of 'em). MB parts in general are expensive, but it seems to me - subjective, perhaps - that the SL600 are the most expensive.

ADS is finicky and will be expensive to repair. Soft top mechanism issues are over-played, but unless you are willing to make repairs yourself, they will be expensive when the time comes. Electro-mechanical engine controls (i.e.: variable valve timing) can be problematic and very expensive to repair - sometimes, quite difficult to properly diagnose, even with a warranty.

The SL600 is a fairly complex vehicle, having a lot of technology packed into a smaller frame. Things are tougher to get to, so labor costs are higher. Yes, there may be a warranty now, but at some point in the future there will not be. You must plan accordingly.

The car is powerful and has the potential to get the driver into real trouble. But it can also be tame if you drive reasonably. But then, the car may not be as fun to drive. If the convertible aspect thrills you the most, get an SL500 instead – only a little less power and cheaper to maintain. Many SL-neophytes do not realize this.

I've owned my SL600 for years and it has been a money pit for most of that time. Bought it very cheap, knew what I was buying, so I do not complain about it. Everything mentioned by previous folks is true. The car has a cult-like following by those of us who really love the SL600. However, in order to keep your SL600 in top condition, it will be a steady drain on your wallet.

Just looking for a convertible? Get an SL500 (R129 model). Want really classic lines in a convertible? Get a late-model 560SL (R107 model). If you are unsure of the difference between R107 and R129, do not get an SL600 – look for a good SL500. Regardless of how you go, good luck! Any SL, properly maintained, is pure joy to own and drive.
OBK Member #47 (W123 Division)
'96 SL600 (105K) Triple Black - Mein über-Fräulein
'79 240D (292K) Yellow/Saddle - Mein Spielzeug
'01 ML430 (123K) Black/Saddle - Wife's Ride
'94 SL500 (164K) Green/Champagne - Daughter's Dream
'73 450SL - RIP
'86 300E - RIP
'88 420SEL - SOLD
'94 S320 - SOLD