View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 02:12 AM
Who's flying this thing ?

Going faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post

As an aside, I decided to top out the car on a flat stretch of I-80 just west of Wendover. The NHP was busy with a tractor-trailer incident (the tractor caught fire and burned to the ground must have been fiberglass) so I was free to stick my foot in the firewall. The old '85 got up to 105 MPH indicated and seemed to have a little left when I quit. Wife said, after that run, 75 felt "slow."

Thanks for all of the support.

Jeremy
It always does, Jeremy. These cars were engineered to run comfortably and safely at their top speed.

Once at about 4:30am, in the 560SEC, headed toward I-5 on my way to Portland, up by Woodland on Highway 113, I was bowling along safely at 125mph while she was sound asleep on the front seat. I saw a pair of headlights far behind me, and not knowing whose they were, dropped my speed to 60 mph and nipped in between two 18 wheelers in the right lane.
Good thing I did, too.

Shortly after that, a CHP cruiser whizzed by. My instincts were working well.

Another time, alone, on I-5 headed to Los Angeles, I decided to probe the limits of the 560SEC. It's lowered, with eibach springs, and wider tires than stock, but unmodified in any way.

It ran at 148 mph without drama, for a little while, then I backed it off.

90-120 mph then seemed like a VERY reasonable, and comfortable and controllable speed, after that.

Unfortunately the CHP doesn't share that view, so it wasn't practical to do it.

Interesting adventure you had, and glad it worked out all right for you.

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)