View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

Probably you should act now if you are interested.

Maybe they are mistaken about the Conn. ownership? It is very possible the car may have been a company car licensed in Delaware, as Delaware is the state where many large corporations are registered, and due to the special tax and incorporation laws of Delaware which protect them, and make it so attractive to register their corporation, and maybe even their company cars.

Just a guess.

It sounds like an average or slightly above average car with average mileage for its year, with a slightly optimistic price.

If it is not far from you in NY, I would definately drive it and try to look at the books and records. If it is only the 2nd owner the dealer got it from, they might still be there.

It should be inspected for rust and the spring perch problem.

If you like it, and the price is reasonable, I would make the offer. They are in VERY high demand, these days, so the price won't be TOO soft. Try to portray yourself as viewing the car as a hunk of iron you need to purchase, with reluctance, but that you really DO need to buy one, and would do so today if a reasonable price could be reached. That will be a bit hard because good cars of this kind are in high demand.

Should you like the car, I wouldn't worry too much about paying a little bit high for the car. What you paid for the car today won't matter too much if you like the car and kept it for a number of years after you bought it
Sometimes it is said a fair deal was had if BOTH sides go away from the deal a little unhappy.

You should be able to nab this one. It should clean up really nicely, and the color is quite attractive.

Cars like this have been used from new as Taxis all over Europe, so they have to have some real toughness for that.

Sixto has been looking for a car like this in the San Francisco Bay Area for awhile, and reported that that they have been selling almost instantly when a nice one turned up.

Is there a service booklet with dealer or shop stamps in it, when you look at the car? With just two owners before this dealer got his hands on it, there is a good chance it would still be there, unless the dealer or the previous owner threw it out. It would tell whether the car lived in Ct. by the stamps in the booklet.

Getting the VMI would be helpful in that regard, for its location during its warranty was in effect, if any claims were made on it.

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)