View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 04:40 AM
Proud MB Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheV12pwr View Post
Dude your post #9 talks about oil 9 vs 11.5 spark plugs 8 vs 12 and soft top-same,there is no much difference between the two (500 and 600) in there,ADS-how many cars failed?2%? or less...where is the dark side in there.
When you talk about the 600 be more specific so your post gets the attention it deserves.
First, I currently own both an SL500 and an SL600. I have also owned an R107 ('73 450SL). Thus, I have direct experience comparing SL models from an ownership perspective.

If one doesn't generalize as a starting point, the post would be a mile long. At least I touched on some detail. I have posted a number of SL600 issues on this board and others, seeking advice on various issues. If interested, simply search by my name. And yes, there is a dark side to the SL600 - when things break, repairs can be costly. Fortunately for you, your SL600 has been trouble-free. But SL600 neophytes do not consider the huge oil sump that needs to be filled at oil changes, labor costs for a tune-up (in the event they prefer to have the work done by someone else), or MB shop repair for the model.

As for soft top issues, the R107 (560SL) is a manual top, not hydropneumatic (as MB calls it) like the R129. So there are a whole new bunch of different problems that *can* occur, as compared to the R107.

ADS - I struggled with an intermittent electrical problem in my '96 SL600 for well over a year. The problem was predictable, but elusive as simply restarting the car would 'clear' the fault. Great ride, then the ADS Fault Light would illuminate and the car rode like a tank. Finally traced the bugger to a temperamental body acceleration sensor. Detailed enough? How many cars this effects? Not a clue. But *my* experience with the SL600 is that it is an expensive car to own. I do believe I put in a disclaimer stating that my car had a number of problems from the on-set.

The original poster was not looking for absolute specifics but people's opinion on the model. I have my opinion; you have yours. Considering Lord Hemming had been long searching for an R107, it would be prudent to make simple comparisons as opposed to overwhelm the person with details. If Lord Hemming, or anyone, wanted clarification of any aspect, a simple follow-up question would have provided whatever detail desired. I believe Lord Hemming did just that regarding a question about warranty.

Personally, I love my SL600. But it *can* be a problematic vehicle on occasion. I never said it *was* a problematic vehicle. You, obviously, have had the other extreme - a trouble-free vehicle. Perhaps you should read 600 posts more carefully so your responses get the proper perspective they deserve. You might also want to proofread before hitting ‘Submit’. Yes, I know a lot (not everything) about MB’s, just read my signature. That represents only 50% of the MB’s I’ve owned.
OBK Member #47 (W123 Division)
'96 SL600 (105K) Triple Black - Mein über-Fräulein
'79 240D (292K) Yellow/Saddle - Mein Spielzeug
'01 ML430 (123K) Black/Saddle - Wife's Ride
'94 SL500 (164K) Green/Champagne - Daughter's Dream
'73 450SL - RIP
'86 300E - RIP
'88 420SEL - SOLD
'94 S320 - SOLD