View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-Dude View Post
Lynns - Your SL looks great! Congratulations on the find of this product. And thanks for the recommendation.

Question: At the bottom of the Dr. Colorchip website there is a statement that reads "Recommended for vehicles with up to a dozen chips". However, their example pictures clearly show far more than a dozen chips on the before and, of course, outstanding after pictures. Is there a special technique to cover larger areas, or does each individual 'nick' require work?

My assumption is the application of the product in small sections until the bumper is complete. Is that correct? The bumper of my '94 SL500 is similar in appearance to the darker vehicle example on the website.

PS - I share your distain for shipping costs from Internet sites!
If I had a plastic bumper that had a lot of road rash I would call a Mobile Bumper Rapair. They painted my 040 black bumper for $250 dollars and did an excellent job. If I were covering a large area on the bonnet I was told by my detail guy yesterday that he just pours the Dr. ColorChip paint on the hood and wipe's it into all of the minor road rash nicks. Let's it dry about 40-60 seconds then uses the Pre-Fast solution to remove the excess. He also noted that he may end up doing this a couple of times before it's the way he wants it.

Remember this is not the end all answer but it does a more than excellent job on small nicks and scratches. In order to build my confidence at first I choose a small scratch that would not show if the product didn't work like I hoped. But it did. After a couple of attempts you will get the feel in your finger tips of removing the excess paint. It is possible to remove to much and have to start again. But no worries. Remember to wipe clean the area with something like rubbing alcohol prior to the application in order to remove contaminants.

2000 SL500 Silver
2000 SL500 SOLD
1989 560SL SOLD
1988 560SL SOLD

Last edited by lynns; 08-23-2007 at 05:22 PM.