View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Finding my way around my 190 D

I've got a 1984 190D that currently has 250,000 miles on it. To date I've had to replace the vacuum pump and rebuild the brakes and have just replaced the glow plugs for the third time. I don't have a manual on this outfit but have sorted out that my glow plug relay is cycling for roughly 30 seconds. Is this normal on this outfit? I've put in Bosch, Autolite and Champions in that order. This last set are rated at 175 watts as opposed to the 140 watt plugs I used earlier. Right now I don't really care what the brand is as long as what I put in doesn't burn out and fires the engine. On this side of the mountain a cold day is -20/-30 F in winter but I moved here from the east side where a cold day is -40 or more. Your thoughts are appreciated. While I'm glad that I'm gettin pretty handy at replacing the glow plugs (the last set took 2 hours) I've now lost a 1/4" wobble joint and blow a bit of cash on plugs and a bit of patience with this. Right now the plugs are pulling around 10.87-10.89 volts and is firing nicely, but will no better when the snow flies. Thanks

Heelerguy

*for everything you gain you lose something