View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniss View Post
Ok, this morning, I connected the Mityvac directly into the line running to the tranny, bypassing the T-junction. I pumped it to about 14 mm Hg vacuum, and it has remained there - no leaking over the short drive, so I didn't even need to pump the Mityvac at all.

The up-shifts were somewhat smoother although not totally smooth, but the downshifts were definitely less so - they seemed to lurch a bit. The shift points were fine, though - responding to the gas pedal in the same manner I am used to.
Good tests.

You've confirmed that we cannot be successful with any vacuum adjustments to smooth the shifts. The only viable alternative is to attempt an adjustment to the modulator itself. I'm hesitant to do this as the modulator is typically set by using a gauge and setting it to a specific pressure. However, you're out of options.

The modulator adjustment is found at the point where the vacuum line enters the transmission. The rubber cap is removed and you'll be able to pull out a T handle for the adjustment. Rotate the handle exactly three turns counter-clockwise..........fold up the handle..........connect up the vacuum line............and take it for a drive. See if the shifts are noticeably softer. If the do soften up..........we can tune it with vacuum.