View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Manual Release

Not sure what you are asking for, sounds like top is stuck because secondary latch will not disengage. I had the same problem, I made a tool out of coathanger wire, bend a straight piece to a 90 with about 2" on one leg. The pin that goes into the body has a notch and the latch looks like an upside down "J". From the passenger side you need to insert the coathanger tool between the "J" and the notch in the top pin. You can hear when it is disengaged and then the top has to be pulled up. I was lucky my car came with an electric winch so I had it hauled up a bit.

The top has to be pulled straight up, not an an angle (i.e. front up first) or else it won't work. It took me an hour or so the first time, then I got it.

The Fix....
I found in my case that the cable has 2 plasitc adjustment "knobs" on the handle side. One was stripped (they are adjustable like screws on the cable jacket and sit inside a clip to keep the cable in place) I switched them and all is fine for now, but I kept the coathanger! The good news is the soft top gives you more room to work so the PO left a screwdriver in the glovebox for the soft top.

It takes a bit before you get it into the right spot!

John

88 560SL
01 ML320