View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Thanks for the input....Did your car seem "Floaty/soft" riding before your upgrades ? Just another note...If I push down on the front or rear bumpers, the suspension is "soft", the shocks seem to work it doesn't keep bouncing like worn shocks would. There are no squeeks from the undercarrage. More info, More awnsers ? Thanks Dave
Mine was very floaty - it felt like I was just above the road instead of on it. I started asking about handling and suspension when I first bought it, because it just didn't handle like I expected. Everything I did on it improved it a bit more, starting with replacing the front subframe mounts, then the rear, then front lower control arm bushings, then the steering damper, then installing an idler arm kit, then tie rods and finally the new shocks. When I bought the 75 the suspension was in the same condition as my 78 had been, and it was really surprising to see how much difference all that made.

I also did the bounce test on my 78 for my shocks, and it passed with flying colors, but the new shocks made a big difference in the way it felt. I felt more connected to the road and the steering input I was used to (just not in the SL) was all there.

I did all my own labor, so the parts were the only cost. It came up to about $600 all total for the whole suspension rebuild. If you had it done, of course, the labor would cost you. But it really isn't that bad. I just did the same thing for my 75 and it only took me a day.