View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 12:53 AM

Rick,
The symptoms you describe are similar to my '83 SD's. I've pulled the lock housing out, flushed it with solvent, and played around with it, and it still does the same things. If I let the column lock, it's near impossible to turn the key again once it's been out.

From what I can tell, this is a failure internal to the lock housing, not the tumbler. It seems there's a part of the housing that should have its travel limited by a catch once you remove the key. This catch doesn't, so the tab on the end that locks into the steering column can't be unlocked and retracted by inserting and turning the key. Either that, or the tab is worn down enough that it's moving too far into the column.

I'd like to pull apart my lock housing, but I can't seem to find a way around the cover plate that doesn't involve destroying it.

In the meantime, I'm going to JB-Weld the pin in place, which will prevent the tab from locking into the column at all.

I intend to get a new lock housing, and compare its operation to the failed one.