View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 12:27 PM

blown vacuum pump and a couple questions

Hey folks, I am embarking on a 617 vacuum pump rebuild. Mine went out suddenly on a lengthy excursion Fri. so I spend a nervous couple hours driving without power brakes. Anyway, I have the DYI pages in hand but have one question that seems not to be spelled out. Searched forum and can't immediately find an answer among the 500 or so "vacuum pump" results.

Regarding the little blocks that are used to compress the springs (?though the notes say "relieve the pressure") while the case is mounted on the homemade frame, what is the height of the blocks? Those who have done this should know what I mean, but I'm attaching the relevant image. I haven't removed the pump yet so don't have a complete visual feel for what's involved. The DYI notes don't make it look too intimidating, but I'd appreciate any supplemental tips from those who have done it and can offer tips or warnings. Nothing catastrophic seems to have happened to indicate that any metallic damage is involved, but of course I'll check everything on reassembly.

Here's what happened. Got off interstate, noticed hard brake pedal--no power brakes. Car won't shut off without pushing the IP stop lever. Center vents won't open with AC on, no central locks. Different, and wrong trans shifting points. No broken or detached vacuum lines. Blown vacuum pump, yes? One other malady that also is coincident with all this is that engine stumbles and stalls a time or two on startup. Started and ran smoothly prior. Related issue???

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
blown vacuum pump and a couple questions-mntbrd01.jpg