View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hawaiian View Post
My rear pax side door window makes the same noise...My Indy claims its the motor going out..We'll see, too hot to roll it down now anyhoo...

Dakota

1981 300D W123 "China Blue" 193K
Your indy is way off, its the regulator that needs replacing. Usually the motor is OK but its the shape of the frame that constitutes the "regulator" that causes the odd noises and irregular motion.
The 123 regulators are made of pot metal that warps when the windows are topped up and the button held a little while to be certain the windows are all sealed up nice and tight. Place your leg against the door panel on a good working 123 and feel the panel push out when the window is raised up. Things get pushed out due to the force of the frame carrying the glass and its friction in the window channels.

OTOH if one lowers the window glass after is is topped out and leaves a small air gap at the top the regulators might last a hundred years.

The gub gub noises are when the motors' gears have eaten out the teeth on the arc shaped part of the regulator. Very common in older 123's