View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Loser

now what?

well, i'm the original poster, and i've got NEWS.

to compensate for the 'kaboom!', i replaced BOTH the sway bar 'z' end links AND the accumulators this past weekend (to the tune of $210), and i've still got the same 'kaboom!' as ever.

frustrated, i crawled underneath again today to confirm there's nothing leaking from the actuators/struts, and that the SLS pump was working...and i confirmed there's no leakage. i disconnected the SLS arm, and she will move up and down when you move the pivot...there's a pretty clear 'switch' feeling in the pivot when you change from 'up' to 'down', which i don't remember noticing on a previous wagon i owned...

anyway, i took in some slack on the arm, to get the ride height a little higher (as my euro hitch has been scraping coming in and out of the driveway), and i'd just "guessed" when i installed a new arm last month to replace the one that was totally missing. i tried to follow sherida's advice from another post
Quote:
"Normal" ride height is no passengers on level ground. You should be able to see the top of the rear tire when you look at it straight from the side (it should not be obscured by the fender).
and now when i measure from the ground to the wheel-center-point of the rear fender, i get 24.5" (as opposed to 26" for the front fenders), but am pretty close to the limit of what i can 'adjust out' of the arm...(as it's adjusted currently, it's pretty dang short).

would love to know WHY IN THE WORLD IS MY REAR SUSPENSION STILL SO STIFF AND PAINFUL? it seems to have NO shock absorbtion cababilities.
would also appreciate hearing measurements of all you wagon owners out there about the 'normal' measurements of your fender height!

former proud owner of:
'85 mercedes euro 300TD
'80 mercedes 300TD
'77 mercedes 280e
'80 mercedes euro 250
'82 mercedes euro 250