View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Dieselsüchtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedbenz View Post
Wow... I'm glad I'm tall - I drive mine with the drivers seat all the way back anyway... if mine started going the other way it'd probably kill me if I couldn't get the steering wheel to zoom out a little.
Once I put the backplate of the doorswitches on wrong, so the switch was snug against the backplate, when I pressed the button it jammed and I was nearly squashed by the power seat as it went forward. Thos things are STRONG!

I think having a voltmeter is one of the greatest gauges to have in a car. When I was coming back from florida I knew my alternator (well, the regulator) had died on me when I was going through Georgia. My diehard international held up for another 7 hours of daytime driving with gauges and radio.....and then about 1.5 hours at night with headlights. I was finally forced to pull off in Florence, KY right by the border to ohio. MB of cincinatti came out (thats 34 miles away) in their cool M-class and gave me a new MB battery for $142 (only took an hour!)....then the alternator magically started working again, and I went the rest of the way home the next day.

It took another 5,000 miles before the alternator finally gave out completely on a trip home from school to my house (5 miles)...very convenient. Then I swapped it with a nice 65A bosch rebuild from Murrays autoparts for $125. That was 9k ago...it was so freshly rebuilt that the bearings had new-bearing whine....which has finally faded away.
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)