View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Benchracer Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
a drift will just damage things.
you need to buy or build a proper tool based on a socket with ears to grip the notches.
Yes, I actually told the shop when I drop the head to hold off while I bought the tool. It looks like a pipe of the right diameter which is then tightened down by a bolt inside it against the collar so the two teeth can grab the collar. Then you turn it by using a wrench (or a socket) over the hex face on the pipe. Unfortunately, by the time I walked in with it he seemed to have had too much idle time on his hand and decided to see if he could pop them out. I bet such techniques work wonders in, say, a SBC but someone (me!) forgot to tell him this is a Mercedes and not a Chevy 350.

It also makes me concerned: I had him rebuild the engine off my 87 Integra. At least on that one I took everything apart before giving to him. In hindsight that was what I should have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
75 300 Turbodiesel? you sure about that
It better be. I had to do some massaging and modifications to drop that engine and tranny (off a 83 300SD) in the car. Still need to find the wiring diagram for the speedo sending unit; driving with speedo saying I am doing 0mph is a bit of a drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
YOu just heat it up really well, then take a candle and "color' around the joint between the parts you wish to separate. It works every time., I think he says.
Neat! I wonder if a propane torch would suffice. I do not care much about the collars as I bought a new set (at $4 each they are too cheap not to replace them anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lietuviai View Post
Who did that with the drift?
I don't even with the right tool they'll come out now.
I showed the pictures to a guy at a Mercedes independent shop and he said
the same...

And, the guy did not even use a drift, he used a chisel. And, I was told, lots of hours. IMHO a drift probably would have been less traumatizing, but now it is too late and I have to deal with the present he left me.

i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler. swedishK